Friday, October 8, 2010

Alexis Wangmene Returns to Texas Re-Energized After Summer in Africa

Filed under: ,

Alexis WangmeneAUSTIN, Texas -- Feeling a need to be recharged, Texas junior forward Alexis Wangmene paid an extended visit back to his native Maroua, Cameroon and also visited South Africa this past summer.

It was there during a three-week trip with his adopted family that Wangmene was able to gain even more perspective about where he is and what he wants from his basketball career going forward. Being home has that effect on Wangmene.

"First of all, I realized that I needed to be grateful for what I have and really what I needed to do in this lifetime to help other people who don't have the chance that I have," Wangmene said to FanHouse recently.

"I realized how much I love the game and how much I can help people through this game because I have a lot of kids back home looking up to me and trying to see me as an example. They ask me questions every time I go back and for me it's a reflection of who I want to become and where I can make an impact in this role. It was real interesting and it made me appreciate what I've got."

His time in South Africa was especially helpful. It was there he was able to reconnect with friends and family and reconnect with his love for the game. Being a part of the NBA's Basketball Without Borders outreach program in Johannesburg was how Wangmene first came in contact with San Antonio Spurs general manager R.C. Buford, who brought him to the United States in 2004 to become part of his family.

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

LSU

No comments:

Post a Comment