Friday, December 24, 2010

Navy Quarterback Ricky Dobbs Conquers Adversity With His Faith

Filed under:

Ricky Dobbs

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - As Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo approached the visiting locker room at SMU's Gerald Ford Stadium on Oct. 17, 2009, his mind raced. He didn't know exactly what he would say to quarterback Ricky Dobbs, only that it wasn't going to be very pleasant.

Niumatalolo had just witnessed perhaps the worst first half of Dobbs' career. Navy's star quarterback - the same quarterback who would later break Tim Tebow's NCAA touchdown record - had done nothing but fumble, bumble and stumble through a forgettable first half against SMU. Dobbs lost two fumbles with the Mustangs returning one for a 1-yard touchdown en route to a 21-7 halftime lead.

Niumatalolo entered the locker room and stormed over to Dobbs' locker. But just as Mount Niumatalolo was about to erupt, he noticed Dobbs reading. Niumatalolo looked closer. Dobbs was reading his New International Version Bible.

"I'm getting ready to yell at him, I look down at him and he's reading the Bible," Niumatalolo told FanHouse. "It's hard to yell at someone when they're reading the Bible. I just said, 'Ricky, try your best and hold onto the ball' and kind of walked away."

It wasn't the first - or last - time Dobbs left someone speechless.

"At halftime I knew I needed strength to continue," Dobbs said. "I didn't know how I was going to finish that game. My (right) knee was throbbing and very painful."

So Dobbs looked through his Bible, searching for inspiration. Looking for strength. He found it in Isaiah 41:9-14, Verse 10.
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/12/22/navys-ricky-dobbs-uses-faith-to-conquer-adversity/

NC State Allstate Sugar Bowl NCAA Division III Football

No comments:

Post a Comment